Jessop & Co’s practice emphasizes commercial bankruptcy and corporate reorganization, debtor and creditor rights, insolvency business transactions and related litigation. Based in Denver and soon in Boulder, Colorado, we serve public and private businesses of every size, type and industry and from every geographic location – local, national and international. Since 1991, we have dedicated ourselves to providing the highest level of service with intelligence, creativity and humanity.
Jessop & Co brings a wide array of experience to every bankruptcy and reorganization representation. We represent debtors-in-possession, bankruptcy trustees, creditors’ committees, liquidating agents, lenders, asset purchasers, creditors and a variety of other clients in bankruptcy reorganization, out-of-court workouts, financial restructuring and liquidation proceedings around the nation. This breadth of experience allows Jessop & Co to understand the issues - not just from a complex legal perspective but from a practical business approach. Since we know the issues, strengths and weaknesses of each stakeholder, we are able to provide practical business solutions and, if necessary, effective litigation.
Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for Fischer Imaging Corp., a 98 year old publicly traded company, that developed and produced radiology equipment and pioneered digital imaging for mammography. Jessop & Co guided the company’s wind-down after a sale of a substantial portion of its assets and assisted in the liquidation of its foreign subsidiaries in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and France. Jessop & Co then successfully confirmed a liquidating plan of reorganization to realize on the remaining assets.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for First Assured Warranty Corp., a vehicle warranty/service contract provider that had been seized by the Insurance Commissioner of Hawaii. The company had over 65,000 creditors and Jessop & Co successfully guided the company in settling the complex claims, insurance issues and competing stakeholder interests with a global resolution that led to the dismissal of the case.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for Galaxy Energy Corporation and Dolphin Energy Corporation, a publicly traded holding company and its subsidiary, actively engaged in gas exploration and development in the Powder River and Piceance Basins in Wyoming and Colorado.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for Grant Family Farms, Inc., an organic vegetable farm in Colorado and the largest such farm outside of California. Jessop & Co was able to give the farm time to reestablish itself through two difficult postpetition harvests and successfully obtained a confirmed plan of reorganization.
- Committee counsel for the Official Unsecured Creditor Committee of Centrix Financial, Inc., a sub-prime automobile loan originator and administrator with approximately a $2 billion dollar portfolio and 200 credit union creditors. After the confirmation of a successful liquidating plan of reorganization under chapter 11, Jessop & Co is now counsel to the liquidating trustee and the beneficiary committee created by the confirmed plan.
- Committee counsel for the Official Unsecured Creditor Committee of Mercury Companies, Inc., the holding company of numerous real estate title companies.
- Bankruptcy Counsel for the chapter 11 trustee of the Ricky Van Vleet chapter 11 bankruptcy case. Mr. Van Vleet was found to have operated a ponzi scheme with debts over $30 million and limited assets in Vanuatu. Jessop & Co successfully obtained restraining orders and injunctions to stop a global conspiracy to interfere with the assets of the estate and allow the settlement of claims with the government of Vanuatu.
- Counsel for Inland Mortgage Capital Corp., a lender with a secured lien on a large failed condominium conversion project in Colorado Springs in chapter 11. Jessop & Co successfully achieved the return of the property and the dismissal of the case.
- Counsel for Lenox Mortgage V Limited Partnership, a lender with a secured lien on a large apartment complex in Gunnison, Colorado in its second chapter 11 case. Jessop & Co. successfully obtained relief from the automatic stay on bad faith grounds and the lender was able to promptly foreclose on the property.
- Bankruptcy counsel for Montegra Capital Resources, Ltd., a “hard money” lender, in a variety of bankruptcy and out of court workouts as well as bankruptcy remote business planning.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for Energy Fuels Exploration Company and Energy Fuels Limited, formerly the largest uranium mining companies in the U.S., in connection with their Chapter 11 cases. These cases were consolidated with the bankruptcy case of their owner, Oren L. Benton. Debt ranged from $500 million to over $1 billion.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for KG Retail Stores, Inc., a men’s clothing retailer, in connection with its Chapter 11 case and emergency sale of 91 retail stores.
- Special Bankruptcy counsel to the City and County of Denver in connection with Denver International Airport. Jessop & Co has represented Denver in over twenty major airline bankruptcy cases throughout the nation. Jessop & Co has actively participated on the official creditors committees in the Frontier and Western Pacific bankruptcy cases and has appeared in bankruptcy courts including Manhattan, New York; Chicago, Illinois; Wilmington, Delaware; Fort Worth, Texas; Phoenix, Arizona; Anchorage, Alaska and Raleigh, North Carolina. Jessop & Co continues to represent the City in various other bankruptcies across the country.
- Special Bankruptcy counsel to the City and County of San Francisco in connection with the San Francisco International Airport. Jessop & Co was the designated member for San Francisco on the Official Unsecured Creditors Committee for the UAL bankruptcy for three years. Jessop & Co continues to represent the City in various other bankruptcies across the country.
- Counsel for various municipal airports in connection with bankruptcy matters including the City of Chicago, City of Phoenix, City of Sacramento, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Pitkin County, Colorado, Port of Portland, Port of San Diego, Port of Seattle and the City and County of San Francisco.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for Univance Telecommunications, Inc. and Univance Marketing Group, Inc., a telecommunications company based in the Denver Metro area and operating in all 48 continental states.
- Counsel to a variety of dot.com and telecom companies in connection with avoiding bankruptcy through out of court settlements and workouts.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for MSHOW.com, Inc., an internet web conferencing company, in connection with its Chapter 11 case and reorganization.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel for Western Integrated Networks, LLC d/b/a WinFirst, a telecommunications “overbuilder” based in Sacramento which was building a national fiber optic network to deliver telephony, data and video in connection with its Chapter 11 case and reorganization.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel to Polydyne International, Inc., in connection with its chapter 11 case. Polydyne was a fraudulent investment company with over $20 million of German creditors. Jessop & Co successfully investigated the assets of the company, creditor claims and the actions of the former principals in both the U.S. and Germany, despite confusing and incomplete business records. Jessop & Co also assisted German authorities in their investigations which resulted in the conviction and imprisonment of the former president. Ultimately, the company was successfully reorganized with trade creditors receiving 100% payout plus interest and the investor creditors receiving 60% of a new company set up to own and develop the remaining real estate asset.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy counsel to Blue Bear, LLC, in connection with its chapter 11 case. Blue Bear was a fraudulent investment company with over $18 million of investor creditors. Jessop & Co successfully investigated the assets of the company and the actions of the former principals despite the state of its records. Jessop & Co won the trust of the creditors and successfully confirmed a plan of reorganization for the company.
- Counsel for Philips Credit Corporation, the leasing subsidiary of Philips N.V., in connection with equipment leases in numerous hotels around the country.
- Counsel for the chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee of the George N. Gillett, Jr. bankruptcy estate. Jessop & Co administered, investigated and liquidated a diverse portfolio of assets (with aggregate values in excess of $500 million) including interests in a Wisconsin bank, an equipment leasing company, various television stations, a radio station, a fixed base operation in Vail, developed and undeveloped real estate in Vail, a magazine, the largest cattle ranch in North America and a horse ranch in California.
Counsel for Sony Electronics, Inc., in connection with the enforcement of equipment leases in the Denver area.
- Counsel to the chapter 7 trustee of The Stuart James Company, Inc., the largest U.S. penny stock broker at the time of its demise in 1990. This case started one year after shut-down with no known assets available to creditors. Through detailed investigation and intensive litigation, Jessop & Co recovered over $3.1 million for the benefit of creditors resulting in a dividend of over 55% to unsecured creditors.
- General counsel for Tecmar Technologies International, Inc., a high tech data storage company traded on the Oslo Stock Exchange. This representation arose out of the successful representation of its predecessor, Rexon Inc., in its Chapter 11 case. During this representation, Jessop & Co gained an intimate knowledge of the day-to-day operations and issues of a large corporation with multiple subsidiaries and directed the liquidation of companies in England, Germany and Singapore. Ultimately, Jessop & Co directed the sale of Tecmar and its remaining subsidiaries pursuant to an emergency sale in their own Chapter 11 cases in Delaware.
- Counsel for FNRS Financial Corporation, a mortgage servicing company, in its Chapter 11 case.
- Counsel to various financial institutions in connection with bankruptcy matters including Farmers State Bank of Calhan, Key Bank of Wyoming, National Westminster Bank USA and NationsBank.
- Counsel to a variety of commercial and residential real estate developers, builders and contractors in structuring out-of-court workouts and bankruptcy planning.